mbox series

[v8,00/10] adding support for python 3 only

Message ID 20200928104328.409055-1-kevin.laatz@intel.com (mailing list archive)
Headers show
Series adding support for python 3 only | expand

Message

Kevin Laatz Sept. 28, 2020, 10:43 a.m. UTC
This patch set converts all python scripts in the project to use
python3 only and removes all deprecation notices associated with these
changes. This is due to python2 being EOL in January 2020.

---
v6:
  - rebased, removing conflict with make removal patchset.
  - added changes to buildtools/map_to_win.py

v7:
  - typo in email Cc'ing David Marchand
  - added maintainers for buildtools patch

v8:
  - removed unrelated cleanup
  - replaced integer cast with integer division operator

Kevin Laatz (3):
  app/test-cmdline: support python3 only
  app/test: support python3 only
  buildtools: support python3 only

Louise Kilheeney (7):
  usertools/dpdk-telemetry-client: support python3 only
  usertools/dpdk-devbind: support python3 only
  usertools/dpdk-pmdinfo: support python3 only
  usertools/cpu_layout: support python3 only
  devtools: support python3 only
  config/arm: support python3 only
  app/test-bbdev: support python3 only

 app/test-bbdev/test-bbdev.py          |  7 +------
 app/test-cmdline/cmdline_test.py      |  9 ++-------
 app/test-cmdline/cmdline_test_data.py |  1 +
 app/test/autotest.py                  |  7 +------
 app/test/autotest_data.py             |  1 +
 app/test/autotest_runner.py           | 21 ++++++++-------------
 app/test/autotest_test_funcs.py       |  1 +
 buildtools/map_to_win.py              |  3 +--
 config/arm/armv8_machine.py           |  2 +-
 devtools/update_version_map_abi.py    |  7 +------
 usertools/cpu_layout.py               | 13 ++-----------
 usertools/dpdk-devbind.py             | 22 ++++------------------
 usertools/dpdk-pmdinfo.py             |  7 +------
 usertools/dpdk-telemetry-client.py    | 18 +++---------------
 14 files changed, 28 insertions(+), 91 deletions(-)

Comments

Robin Jarry Sept. 28, 2020, 11:29 a.m. UTC | #1
Hi Kevin, all,

2020-09-28, Kevin Laatz:
> This patch set converts all python scripts in the project to use
> python3 only and removes all deprecation notices associated with these
> changes. This is due to python2 being EOL in January 2020.
> 
> ---
> v6:
>   - rebased, removing conflict with make removal patchset.
>   - added changes to buildtools/map_to_win.py
> 
> v7:
>   - typo in email Cc'ing David Marchand
>   - added maintainers for buildtools patch
> 
> v8:
>   - removed unrelated cleanup
>   - replaced integer cast with integer division operator

For all patches in the series:

Acked-by: Robin Jarry <robin.jarry@6wind.com>
Bruce Richardson Sept. 28, 2020, 3:09 p.m. UTC | #2
On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 01:29:53PM +0200, Robin Jarry wrote:
> Hi Kevin, all,
> 
> 2020-09-28, Kevin Laatz:
> > This patch set converts all python scripts in the project to use
> > python3 only and removes all deprecation notices associated with these
> > changes. This is due to python2 being EOL in January 2020.
> > 
> > ---
> > v6:
> >   - rebased, removing conflict with make removal patchset.
> >   - added changes to buildtools/map_to_win.py
> > 
> > v7:
> >   - typo in email Cc'ing David Marchand
> >   - added maintainers for buildtools patch
> > 
> > v8:
> >   - removed unrelated cleanup
> >   - replaced integer cast with integer division operator
> 
> For all patches in the series:
> 
> Acked-by: Robin Jarry <robin.jarry@6wind.com>

Great. Looking forward to having this merged as I'm tired of seeing the
warnings from our scripts when I forget to explicitly call them using
python3!

I expect, once applied, the deprecation notice should also be removed.
David Marchand Sept. 28, 2020, 3:09 p.m. UTC | #3
Hello Kevin, Louise,

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 12:48 PM Kevin Laatz <kevin.laatz@intel.com> wrote:
>
> This patch set converts all python scripts in the project to use
> python3 only and removes all deprecation notices associated with these
> changes. This is due to python2 being EOL in January 2020.

Thanks for working on this.

I noticed some leftovers:
- doc/guides/contributing/coding_style.rst and
doc/guides/linux_gsg/sys_reqs.rst still mention that scripts work with
python2,
- the deprecation notice can be dropped and this will go with a
corresponding update of the release note,
Bruce Richardson Sept. 28, 2020, 3:14 p.m. UTC | #4
On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 05:09:30PM +0200, David Marchand wrote:
> Hello Kevin, Louise,
> 
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 12:48 PM Kevin Laatz <kevin.laatz@intel.com> wrote:
> >
> > This patch set converts all python scripts in the project to use
> > python3 only and removes all deprecation notices associated with these
> > changes. This is due to python2 being EOL in January 2020.
> 
> Thanks for working on this.
> 
> I noticed some leftovers:
> - doc/guides/contributing/coding_style.rst and
> doc/guides/linux_gsg/sys_reqs.rst still mention that scripts work with
> python2,

For the GSG doc, there is an overlap with the make removal doc updates
which already fix that (since meson itself requires py3):

http://patches.dpdk.org/patch/78191/

Good catch on the former.

> - the deprecation notice can be dropped and this will go with a
> corresponding update of the release note,
> 
> 
> -- 
> David Marchand
>
Kevin Laatz Sept. 28, 2020, 3:36 p.m. UTC | #5
On 28/09/2020 16:14, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 05:09:30PM +0200, David Marchand wrote:
>> Hello Kevin, Louise,
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 12:48 PM Kevin Laatz <kevin.laatz@intel.com> wrote:
>>> This patch set converts all python scripts in the project to use
>>> python3 only and removes all deprecation notices associated with these
>>> changes. This is due to python2 being EOL in January 2020.
>> Thanks for working on this.
>>
>> I noticed some leftovers:
>> - doc/guides/contributing/coding_style.rst and
>> doc/guides/linux_gsg/sys_reqs.rst still mention that scripts work with
>> python2,
> For the GSG doc, there is an overlap with the make removal doc updates
> which already fix that (since meson itself requires py3):
>
> http://patches.dpdk.org/patch/78191/
>
> Good catch on the former.

Just noticed doc/guides/conf.py was also missed... Will work on this and 
the above for v9


>> - the deprecation notice can be dropped and this will go with a
>> corresponding update of the release note,

Will take care of this in the v9 as well. Thanks.


>> -- 
>> David Marchand
>>